Friday 19 January 2018

#MoreinCommon - the journey continues

Regular readers will know that I won my bet on how many seats the Conservative Party would win in the general election last year. With my £160 winnings, I bought 11 copies of the book about Jo Cox written by her widower, Brendan Cox. I have been donating these to the libraries of my life over the last few months. This morning, I went along to the school in Oxford where my children went for their secondary school career - and where I was a governor for eight years: Cherwell School.

I had about ten minutes to speak to their 200 strong sixthform and tell them the story and what Jo stood for. As we all know, her message was powerful and simple: we always have more in common than anything which divides us.

Jo was in the news again this week, as the Government moved forwards on appointing a Minister for Loneliness which was one of the other matters that concerned her. Jo's sister has revealed that Jo experienced bouts of loneliness herself.

It was great to hear about some of the things the school and the students are doing. I was frankly astounded when in talking about the forthcoming science fair, the teacher explained that some year nine students a couple of years ago built a robot out of Lego that could solve a Rubik's cube...! Heck, I cannot even do that!

The Headteacher, Chris Price was inspirational and is clearly well respected by staff and students alike. Here he is accepting the book I have donated. Below is the inscription for the book that will be placed in the school library.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Treasured Mayoral Days!